Friday, January 5, 2007

Made-to-Order Jeans


I own 3 pairs of custom-made Viktor jeans from Ino Caluza’s store at the Podium, and they fit perfectly. At P4,000-5,000 a pair, they had better! And my favorite part is that each pair of Viktor jeans comes with a 15-day warranty, during which time you can have unlimited alterations on your demins (should they not fit as perfectly as mine do).

Recently though, I discovered this hole-in-the-wall made-to-order-shop along Katipunan that’s just a stone’s throw away from where I went to school. Some college friends told me that they’ve been going there since they were freshies, so I decided to check it out… And guess what? I had another 2 pairs of jeans made for only P550 each! (The owner, Kuya Jun, really charges P650 a pair, but if you order more than one and offer to pay the full amount in advance, you can bargain down to P550. Just keep your voice low, and don’t let the other customers hear you.)

My Katipunan jeans didn’t fit as perfectly as my Viktor ones did one the first try, but after just one alteration, I now have 2 pairs of dirt-cheap jeans that flatter me like an ardent suitor and fit me like a glove. Ahhh… denim love!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same question! Where in Katipunan is this? I wanna try it out =)

Anonymous said...

Same question It’s so hard to find a good pair of jeans!

Anonymous said...

hey wella! i’m gonna be makulit and ask what everyone’s asking, please let us know where the katipunan shop is! love your blog and thanks a bunch!

Anonymous said...

hi, i emailed you with an inquiry, hope to hear from you, thanks!

Wella said...

TO ALL THOSE WHO EMAILED (ang dami niyo ha, now i know that pinays are really denim-crazy!) — i wanted to send you guys additional tips on ordering customized jeans especially if you go to my jeans place in katips, which isn’t fancy schamcy at all:

(1) if you have a pair of jeans whose fit you already love, it’d be good to take them to the mto shop and have the fit copied. if you don’t, just have your measurements taken, but be very specific about the fit of the jeans you would like — bootcut, skinny, etc. you could even dicuss the exact width you’d prefer for the waist, leg, or hem.

(2) ask them to give a good “allowance” for the length of the jeans. you can always have them shortened (for free), but if they’re bitin, wala na, you’ll be stuck with bitin jeans.

(3) be specific about the fabric and threads that you want them to use. a swatch of fabric should be attached to your receipt. they’ve got a good selection of denims, dress pant fabrics, pinstripes, and more. they also do tops (haven’t tried this service though, so i can’t recommend it), but they specialize in bottoms.

(4) call before you go to pick up your new mto jeans, to make sure they’re ready

(5) be patient! if the fit isn’t perfect the first time, you can always have them altered free of charge.

Anonymous said...

Where in Katipunan is this? What’s the name of the store? It certainly appeals more to me than the P4K jeans. lol I’ve been looking for a pair of good jeans, and all I ever found was that… a pair! *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I’ll email you for sure =)

Anonymous said...

hi ... where in katipunan is this? i want to try it also ...

Anonymous said...

hi wella, can you please send me address of that store in katipunan. Thanks.
emylynlimnoma@yahoo.com

kankan said...

Where in Katipunan?

Unknown said...

Hi! I love your site. Can I get the exact address of the place in Katipunana? Tnx!

Anonymous said...

hi wella,

can you give me the complete address of the store in katipunan? venise_29@yahoo.com

thanks bunch :)

Unknown said...

Hi Wella!

Pretty much same question as the rest ... can you pls give me exact addy of the jeans place in katips? pls email to sizzlin_jasmine@yahoo.com . Thanks in advance!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Can i have the address and phone number of the jean's place in Katipunan? Thanks =)
dazzleandcharms@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

hi! I also want to ask where in Katipunan? I also want to try it.. thanks! jacque17@gmail.com :-)

Anonymous said...

i had to google quite a bit in search of this particular post, haha! the only other MTO jeans i hear of that are that cheap are in recto, but i am so afraid of actually going there XP

& yes, i'm going to ask what everybody's asking, where please? :) any landmarks (i'm bad with directions, ehehe)? if you could also throw in a phone number, that would be great :D
kurkenkou_at_yahoo.com (replace "_at_" with "@", but you already knew that, didn't you? just trying to avoid bot-spamming :P)